Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Life's a party. Get married in Vegas.

Life's a party...and that's how my crazy whirlwind of an adult life began.

I've been known for my fierce (or fiercely drunk) dance moves since my 21st birthday. Going out on the town with friends, I would end up missing and found on the dance floor no matter if it were packed or empty.

While my party years ran through my college years, my dance moves made me the 'plus fun' of the party as well as landed me my husband, Jay. We met at our hometown street dance and the stars...or in this case the drinks and dance moves aligned and so our fate began. We'd lived in the same small town and went to the same schools our whole lives, but never were introduced until that street dance. We danced and briefly chatted. That was it. A week later we bump into each other and I didn't think too much of it, but he tells me he was out lookin' for me. I tell him he should've called me. He says, well I don't have your number. [Insert awkward silence] I said well, maybe you could ask for it. [Insert me starring at my drink thinking I need to finish it quick in case he doesn't ask for it and things get awkward.] Then he FINALLY asks for my number. And get this...calls me the next day.

The next night we went out for drinks. He said he was going to meet me out side at the bottom of my stairs of my apt because I had some pain-in-the butt, but probably helpful, security doors. I get as ready as I get and head down the stairs. He's not there. I go back upstairs and text him to see if we were still meeting, assuming he was standing me up. Nope..he was there. Just around the corner waiting.

The rest has been crazy. We instantly connected and clicked. Clicked so much that months that as Johnny Cash would say, "We got married in a fever, hotter than a pepper sprout." We were on vacation in Vegas to go to Funk-a-Palooza and every one joked that we were going to run off to Vegas. Well, it turns out they were right. In the middle of supper Jay's romantic proposal went something like, "Are you feeling it [getting married]? 'Cuz I'm feeling it." We called the Garden Chapel an hour later and booked it for 5pm the next day. We didn't call or tell anyone. I called my old roomie who's a pilot and asked her to bring our social security cards (so we could get our marriage license) and get there before 5pm because I knew she could fly for free so it really wouldn't be imposing. She agreed. While it was extremely crazy and awesome, I had minor tears the night before. I felt guilty that my family wouldn't be there and that Jay didn't ask my dad, but Jay's parents had passed away so I knew anything traditional would be hard for him and not really fair to him. It wasn't until after that he thanked me and said that a traditional wedding would've been too hard for him to go through.





We woke up the next morning. Got breakfast. Ran downtown to get our marriage license then headed to shop. I mean, I needed a white-sh dress of some sort to wear. We went to one store and grabbed every white/cream dress they had in my size and found one. It was not a wedding dress, but it was my wedding dress. In our rush to get to the airport, I forgot to pack any hair product or styling tools, but I was marrying the love of my life so it didn't matter. We went searching for rings and as soon as I was going to give up, we found one who had a jeweler who could size the rings within a few hours. We had lunch and went to the hotel room and got ready. My roomie came and we went to get married.

The rest is history. My family loves Jay and was happy for me. We both did have to go through having our sisters feel hurt that they weren't there, but for us it was all about us that day. We didn't have a care in the world, we were so happy.
Photo taken 3/21/11
It was crazy, but not until we got back and someone told me how romantic she thought it was. Most people don't associate a Vegas wedding with romance, but if you think about it..it was. We had no cares in the world that day and we ran off and were so in love that we HAD to get married.

The rest is Vegas history.

No comments:

Post a Comment