Friday, August 16, 2013

Friday DIY: Burlap wedding gift

Friday DIY are fun days. Fridays are the days when I submit one of my weekly DIY projects with directions so you can to it too. Please feel free to request a type of project and I'll see what I can do to make it work.

Today's DIY was inspired by wedding season.
Wedding season hits your wallet as hard as your weekend plans. With some inspiration from a friend and my love for the burlap craze, I came up with an inexpensive and quick gift.

Supplies you need:  
  • Burlap-half a yard should bee good, but a got a full yard to make one for myself $2.97/yd
  • Sharpies-you can get the fabric ones, but I got the regular ones because the final project would be framed and not washed, so it wouldn't rub off on anything ($2 for a 3-pack). If you're really good with a small paint brush, which I am not, you can use that instead.
  • Picture frame-I got a 11 x 14 for about $12 from Walmart
  • Stencil/Lettering-you can buy a stencils or just print off the words you want. I printed off the words on plain copy paper in order to get the font I wanted


Project supplies: pretty simple.

The steps:
  1. After you buy everything, take the burlap and cut it slightly larger than the opening of the matting frame. Make sure you note where the matted frame hits on the burlap to ensure your letters aren't cut off.
  2. Tape the printed lettering behind the burlap once you're fully satisfied with the layout
  3. Trace! Simple huh? Don't be afraid to be a bit rough coloring as you fill in the letters, burlap is a rough material. Be sure you leave the paper on the back so you don't ruin your table. Remember, it doesn't have to be perfectly or evenly filled in. Burlap is rustic. Imperfection is beauty.
  4. Once you're satisfied with the lettering, center the burlap in the frame. Add a piece of tape to keep in in place and close up that frame.
  5. Admire that you made a great and personalized gift for under $20.
The finished project.


Please feel free to request a type of project and I'll see what I can do to make it work.




























No comments:

Post a Comment