Thursday, August 22, 2013

Burlap Pillows

Today's DIY was inspired by burlap (left over burlap).
I am in love with the burlap craze. I want everything burlap. I'm not an experienced sewer so I thought I would start with some accent pillows for my entry way bench to cutesy it up a bit.

Supplies you need:  
  • Burlap-half a yard should bee good, but a got a full yard to make more than one $2.97/yd
  • Random light colored/printed fabric- mine was left overs. It's going to be the base of the pillow because burlap has bigger gaps and I didn't want the stuffing to be visible
  • Sharpies-you can get the fabric ones, but I got the regular ones because the final project would  not washed ($2 for a 3-pack). If you're really good with a small paint brush, which I am not, you can use that instead.
  • Stuffing
  • Stencil/Lettering-you can buy a stencils or just print off the words you want. I used some Hobby Lobby stencils. You could also print off the words or design you want on plain copy paper and trace


The Steps:
  1. Cut both the fabric and the burlap into two equal size shapes. 
  2. Stencil or trace the design you want on the burlap.
  3. Place the two pieces of fabric together right-side-in and stitch together, leaving a small opening your hand can fit into. Once you've stitched them together you'll turn them inside out, so the print is facing out.
  4. Take your stuffing and stuff!. Try to keep the it even and make sure your corners are full. Keep stuffing until you're satisfied with the fullness and then stitch closed.
  5. Stitching the burlap. As you can see from my pillows, you have two options for the edging of the burlap cover. You can two pieces of fabric together right-side-in and stitch together, leaving a small opening your hand can fit into (as in step 3) or if you want a frayed edge, you can simply leave the burlap print right-side-out and stitch away, leaving and opening to stuff the pillow in. This will give you the frayed edges. 
  6. Stuff the pillow into the burlap case and stitch it shut.

Hopefully this adds a little more happy to your place like it did to mine!

Thanks for reading,
Katie
 

No comments:

Post a Comment